Win gravity: Diff between ICCCM spec and EWMH

I have a question regards window gravity manipulation:

The ICCCM spec (section 4.1.2.3) states the coordinates used to calculate the
win gravity reference point. The explanation is (I think) clear.

But in the implementation notes of the EWMH document (draft January 2003), the
author of the second table apparently is assuming that the coordinate system
is with respect to the inner border of the client window, i.e. for a
configure request that the window manager gets,  its need to asume the inner
border is at (x, y). With this, the coordinates of the outer border is (x-bw,
y-bw).

AFAIK the window manager always gets the configure request with respect the
outer edge of the client window, irrespective if the client window has or not
a border. So, the OUTER border is at (x, y) and the INNER border is at (x+bw,
y+bw). (Of course, if the window manager don't honors the client bw this
doesn't matters).

Is my interpretation of the EWMH correct, or I'm missing something? Excuse me
if this was discussed previously, but I browse the mail archives and I only
found an email from Sasha Vasko which states the formulas that the EWMH now
use.

- Davor