Re: xinerama and struts

Mark McLoughlin <mark skynet ie> writes:
> 	Well the way I thought about it was that with Xinerama it is
> only a single workarea you have. That's why there isn't a desktop
> drawn on each monitor, just one for all monitors. If we're going with
> the model that each Xinerama monitor is a seperate workarea what do we
> do about _NET_WORKAREA ?
>
> 	If we're going with a single workarea model, then it doesn't
> make sense to allow the panel to split it in two ...

You need multiple ideas of "work area" with the introduction of
partial-width panels, and also with Xinerama.

With partial-width panels, because you want to count those for
maximization (maybe), but not for window movement/placement
restrictions; so here the work area means something a bit different
than before.

With Xinerama, because you want to maximize to only one monitor, not
all of them, but you still want the monitor-spanning full work area
for placement (possibly considering the monitor boundaries, though).

While the current concept of work area is a single rectangle used for
window placement restrictions, maximization, and everything else,
suddenly we have several different areas to be considered in different
contexts.