Re: mandatory _NET_WM_PING

Hi,

Marko Macek wrote:
Hi!

As discussed before, there is no reliable way for a window manager to know that an application implements the wm-spec hints.

Therefore I propose to make the implementation of _NET_WM_PING protocol
mandatory for applications implementing this specification.

I'd rather have an additional property in which the application can tell which version of the hints the application supports; apart from overloading the ping protocol this would have the advantage for WMs supporting applications written according to earlier versions of the spec.

Beside it obvious usefulness for killing hung windows.

How obvious is this usefullness really ? Does an app hang just because its stuck opening a file on a slow NFS-server ? Why should a WM decide that an app is hung ? The user will do that anyway if he's bothered by it and kill it; with automated killing you inevitably kill applications which are indeed not hung; as e.g. the gnome session manager likes to do with OpenOffice.org which happens to start longer than the default settings of the session manager allow and therefore kills it outright..

Regards, Philipp

--
E pluribus Unix