Re: desktop layout patch

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:02:13PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As discussed earlier. Two changes:
>
>  - it's set by the pager owning a manager selection.
>  - the flag value for "compute from number of spaces"
>    is 0 instead of -1 since it eliminates signedness
>    issues and confused me less when implementing the
>    code.
>
> I've also implemented this with the GNOME workspace switcher and
> Metacity and it seems to work fine and be easy to implement.

It does not seem that there is a consensus on the list for this
property. At least there is a message of Matthias Clasen with
an objection concerning the use of manager selection.
I'm not against this new property (as I say before). But what
I understand is that it is really useful for GNOME and KDE because
GNOME and KDE do not support large desktop!
You want desktops layer for edge switching if I well understand.
But why do you not use large desktop?  A layout of X=4 and Y=3
is more or less equivalent (for the user) to NUMBER_OF_DESKTOP=1 and
DESKTOP_GEOMETRY= X*screen_width, Y*screen_height. Of course with
this the layout is given for free and it does not seem that there
are problems about "nominating one pager as the "layout master"
(using a manager selection)" (as say Matthias Clasen).

So now why we have large desktop and multiple desktops?

Olivier