Re: Status Manager

George <jirka 5z com> writes:
> I still don't see what this discussion is about.

Well it's about the same things you go on to talk about ;-)

>  From then on the app can use the existing sort of mechanism (client
> message) to tell the dock about it's docklet.

If we're redesigning incompatibly anyway, it seems easier to me to
just say that the docklet gets the dock's window ID, and maps the
docklet inside the dock to begin with - thus avoiding the whole client
message thing.

> The only problem with the KDE approach is involving the window-manager and
> not playing nicely without a compliant window-manager.  But even that could
> be fixed.

It goes away if you just never map as a child of root.