Re: who "cleans" windows on withdraw?

We somehow dropped this discussion. Is it concensus that the WM should
clear _NET_WM_STATE and _NET_WM_DESKTOP when the client withdraws a
toplevel, but leave them if the WM unmanages a toplevel because it is
going down (or even crashing) ?

This achieves that

* legacy toolkits can reuse withdrawn windows without having them stick
  to their former desktops

* WMs can be restarted without lumping everything together on desktop 0.

* non-legacy toolkits which want to use the withdrawn state for hiding
  toplevels without iconifying them (like GTK does) must keep track of
  the last state and desktop and restore them before mapping the window
  again.

If this is agreed upon, can we get it in the spec, Havoc ?

Matthias