Re: Addition for pager layout. - an existing protocol

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:59:24PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
<snip>

> My opinion is that we should use a root window property but just have
> the pager set the property, because I'd consider the desktop layout
> essentially a function of the pager rather than the window manager. My
> only worry is that multiple pagers can overwrite each other. I suppose
> we could solve that with a manager selection.

</snip>

There is existing practice for a workspace manager selection in Motif.
It uses WSM_Sn as the format for the selection name. I've not found
a documented specifiction, but the sources of MWM and the examples
of workspace managers are available at:

  ftp://openmotif.opengroup.org/pub/openmotif/R2.1.30/motif/clients/mwm/

Cheers,
Greg Merchan

P.S. - Since I always flame and mention the ICCCM and the CUA:
       Don't call it manager selection if it doesn't follow the ICCCM
       specification for manager selections!!!!!!
       (I can't get CUA in that. Darn.)