Re: wm-spec implementation

Iban <hatchond yahoo fr> writes:
>  - _NET_CLIENT_LIST_STACKING :
>     As a window manager I am suppose to provide this property.
>     But the question is :  has bottom-to-top stacking order ??
>     I don't get the point. More, it is a "long" job to retrieve this
> order.

This is used by pagers to e.g. display miniature copies of windows.

>  - _NET_WM_ICON : I don't really understand your description. Could you
> explain it a little more for me please ?

The format is (IIRC) one 32-bit integer for width, one 32-bit integer
for height, then each 32-bit integer contains 1 byte for alpha, 1 byte
for red, 1 byte green, 1 byte blue.

>  - _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE : This one is clear, but I make some questions
> coming up to me :
>    when I have a _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP : how many of this window
> may I have at the same time ? Because if I look at nautilus, he create
> on window of that type, and as window manager I'm not suppose to restack
> any window below that one ?

There should only be one window of this type, yes. The window manager
shouldn't crash if there are more, but isn't expected to do anything
sensible either.