Re: issues for future version

Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us wrote:
> - Window Layers. AS was discussed some time ago, there is a distinctive need
>   to provide for window layering. For example you can place all your
>   panels/docks/wharfs in the higher layer, to keep them always visible, or
>   move terms onto the bottommost layer to keep them from obscuring other
>   windows. It was proposed as KEEP_ON_TOP hint, before, but IMHO layers
>   are much cleaner and flexible way to do that.

I thought layers were rejected in favour of semantic hints? (The
rationale was that stays-on-top & friends should be configured through
the window manager, not client-by-client.)

Of course the WM can still implement layers, but why should clients know
about them?

> - Pseudo-Transparency support (aka Root pixmap ID).

Could this be implemented using parent-relative backgrounds for the
client window and the frame window? The WM would set a hint on the root
window to indicate support for this kind of pseudo-transparency. It
would work nicely with virtual roots - the virtual root would be the
parent of the frame window, so its background would be visible rather
than the background of the (possibly obscured) root window. How would
the root pixmap ID work with virtual roots?

Michael