Re: NET_WM_PID is broken (was: NET_WM_PID and client leader)

On 16 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Sorry for the slow reply; I was just reminded that I needed to reply
> by the traffic on this list. ;-)

	Well... so I also delayed my reply. Erm... no. I simply was
offline: Enjoyed the sun, the beach...

> I somewhat modified your proposed wm-spec.sgml patch and propose the
> following patch instead.
>
> I basically made two changes:
>  - I think you meant WM_CLIENT_MACHINE instead of WM_CLIENT_NAME in
>    a couple places?
>  - I don't think the spec should require a specific implementation;
>    instead I wrote that the "fully-qualified domain name" must be
>    used.
>
> I think the FQDN is a well-understood concept, e.g. here is the
> definition from the GNU libc manual:

	Yup^2

>    In DNS, the full host name is properly called the FQDN (Fully
>    Qualified Domain Name) and consists of the hostname, then a period,
>    then the domain name.  The domain name itself usually has multiple
>    components separated by periods.  So for example, a system's
>    hostname may be `chicken' and its domain name might be
>    `ai.mit.edu', so its FQDN (which is its host name) is
>    `chicken.ai.mit.edu'.
>
> Then I moved your text about gethostname() and uname() to
> implementation notes.
>
> I think this is more appropriate for a spec, we are just supposed to
> specify behavior, not what you have to do to get that behavior. If
> clients have some better way to get FQDN then they should feel free to
> do so.

	They look very good your modifications.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
WWW:           http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/
PGP/GnuPG:     1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1