Re: WM spec issues: UTF8_STRING, properties rather than selections

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch pps jussieu fr> writes:
> The first one is important.  The WM spec consistently uses
> ``UTF-8_STRING'' as the type of text properties.  However, the atom
> name that is used by XFree86 is `UTF8_STRING'' (note the missing
> dash).  You'll doubtless agree that consistency in this area is
> essential, and I hope that this is merely an oversight on your part,
> and one that will be corrected in the next revision of the spec.

Just a typo; someone did a search-and-replace and inadvertently
modified this. (They were trying to s/UTF8/UTF-8/ in the text, but not
in property names.)

> The other issue is that the WM spec uses root window properties for a
> number of WM-dependent data (starting with _NET_SUPPORTED).  The
> problem with that is that if the window manager crashes, or execs a
> different one, these properties will not necessarily be removed.

The way this is supposed to be handled is the _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK
property; you have to monitor the window stored in
_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK, and use _NET_SUPPORTED only if that window
is still alive.