Re: Initial window placement

Philipp Lohmann <Philipp Lohmann Sun COM> writes:
> Exactly the same could be done with the frame geometry.
>
> Plus there seems to be a philosophical topic here: "a valid reason why
> client should know about its frame's position" shouldn't it simply be
> "because it wants to" ? Why don't you want the client to give exact hints
> where it wants its windows ?

Because if clients manage windows, you get different window management
for each client. If the window manager manages windows, you get
coherent, consistent window management.

If you have window management partially in the client and partially in
the WM, then the result is A Big Mess that doesn't give users a nice
experience. Also, you remove the flexibility that window managers
currently have to implement different kinds of policy.

This is why semantic hints are strongly preferred. So we need to sort
out exact use-cases for _what clients are trying to do_ and then
decide which of those are reasonable things to do, and then figure out
how to implement them on either client-side or WM side.