Re: Questions regarding Spec 1.1

Philipp Lohmann <Philipp Lohmann Sun COM> writes:

> what about backwards compatibility ? Of course it wouldn't break that
> much if implementations simply switched to HORZ instead of HORIZ. Or
> should one support both if writing an application ? What will e.g. KDE do
> ?

My view is that the right thing for apps and window managers is to
never work around each other in areas where there's a clear spec.

If you start doing workarounds you can never get things to work
properly, since both sides (app, WM) become moving targets.

This is why X clipboards still don't work quite right, because apps
keep working around each other.