Re: WM-SPEC - what needs to happen for release ?

Bradley T. Hughes writes:
|This same argument could hold true for the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE
|property.  If making an extension to the _NET_WM_STATE property is in
|violation of the spec, then so is extending _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE.  Which
|means the using the list for extensibility is pointless, because specific
|extensions are disallowed.

But the whole point of allowing _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE to be a list of
atoms is to allow safe extension (either local extension, or adding
more _NET_ window types at a later date)

obviously it's impossible to locally extend a set of flags encoded as
bits in an integer since you have the problem of allocating the bits
and avoiding clashes

So I would argue that _NET_WM_STATE should also be a list of atoms, for
the same reasons. You could then add your local _KDE_STAYS_ON_TOP hint
without any problems. (isn't this how the Open Look hints work?)

But I suspect you won't like this, so I'm not going to push it..