Re: WM-SPEC - what needs to happen for release ?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Julian Adams wrote:

> > > similar
> implementation
> the

> > > now is

> would
> be
> also
> > >

> A change to the protocol itself would not be binary incompatible unless you
> alter the public class interface. That isn't required is it ?

The change in the protocol would require a change in the public
interface.  I tried to keep the classes independant of KDE (so that they
could be used in other projects), and in doing so I would have to expose
this list of window types to the application.  So instead of a simple

WindowType NETWinInfo::type() const;	method I would now have to do
something like:

Array NETWinInfo::types() const;	which completely changes the semantics
of the class.

Again, I really don't see the point in the list.  If someone is going to
try and extend the spec, they should not (IMO) reuse the _NET properties
to do so.

If some window happens to be a rotating dialog with spinning titlebars,
then that should be set in a property other than _NET_WINDOW_TYPE. I have
considered _NET_WINDOW_TYPE as standard types.

--
Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>
Waldemar Thranes gt. 98B N-0175 Oslo, Norway