Re: Application launch detection

On 11 Nov, Havoc Pennington scribbled:
->
->  Peter Astrand <astrand lysator liu se> writes:
->  > The problem with extending Xt, GTK or QT is that there will always be
->  > thousand and thousands of applications and toolkits without this
->  > extension. Eg, this feedback mechanism will only work with perhaps 90% of
->  > the applications. This means that the desktop environment much decide
->  > if to use feedback or not - not an easy task. Including some flag in the
->  > .desktop file is probably the only way to do it. Not a clean solution.
->  >
->
->  I think two things are clear:
->
->   a) this won't get added to Xlib (for the reasons Owen mentioned)
->   b) LD_PRELOAD sucks ;-)
->
->  Therefore we need to plan on requiring toolkit support. We can do an
->  LD_PRELOAD hack on some platforms for some apps, but this sure
->  shouldn't be the default case or the long-term solution.
->
->  Peter, could you write down a more formal description of how the
->  XSendEvent() works, so we can get a spec that explains that mechanism?
->  We need to document exactly what toolkits should do (what properties
->  to set, events to listen for, name of the env variable to use).  Then
->  GTK and Qt can implement it, and maybe we can even get Xt/Motif to do
->  so.

why use xsendevent? we already have maprequest/mapnotify :) just get
the properties ontot he widnow and we're done. they can be looked up
any time by a taskbar, wm or whatever for anythign it may want to sue
them for :)

->  Also, are you interested in working with George on this issue for
->  GNOME 1.4 - I guess modifying Xalf so the panel and Nautilus can use
->  it when launching apps. We'd need to support a GTK 1.2.9 that natively
->  implements the protocol we decide on, and the panel would provide Xalf
->  with a flag indicating whether the app natively supports the protocol
->  or not.
->
->  Havoc
->

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com     raster valinux com