Re: Better Virtual Desktops

>> >One of the changes that Matthias and I talked about was this very
thing.
>> >He and I favor changing only the number of desktops (ie.  the pager
sends
>> >a message to change the number from 4 to 6, or from 8 to 5)
>>
>> Yep, that is much simplier approach and I suggested it too back in
april,
>> but since I did not get any positive responce on it I assumed that this
>> scheme is not supported by anyone else - hence this attempt to get
>> what's in current specs into order.
>>
>> Both approaches are fine with me.
>
>I vote for the simpler approach.  The simpler we make this spec, the more
>appealing it will be to window manager authors (present and future) to
>implement

Ok so instead of :
<quote>
A Pager can insert or delete a certain desktop by sending
a _NET_{INSERT/DELETE}_DESKTOP client message to the root window.
</quote>

Specs should read :

<quote>
A Pager can request change in the desktops number by sending
a _NET_SET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS message to the root window:

NET_SET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS
  window = target app window
  message_type = _NET_SET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS
  format = 16
  data.s[0] = new_desktops_number

Window Manager is free to honor or reject this request. If request is honored
_NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS will be adjusted to the new number of desktops. If
request is honored, then _NET_VIRTUAL_ROOTS (if supported) has to be adjusted to
store new number od desktop virtual root window IDs. _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES property
may remain unchanged as it represents pre-configured static information.
If number of desktops is shrinking and _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP is out of the new range
of of available desktops, then current desk must be changed to the very last available
desktop from the new set, and _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP must be adjusted accordingly.
If number of desktops is shrinking then clients that are still present on desktops,
that are out of the new range, must be moved to the very last desktop from the new
set.
</quote>

also the following change has sence IMHO, as desktop names are rather
independent from the fact that we increasing or decreasing number of
desktops.
As far as it is likely to be preconfigured, and if you first shrink
desktops list
and then grow it  - you will ewant to use same names as you used before. By
keeping
this property unchanged you save some time from unneccessary udates of it.

So Instead of :
<quote>
_NET_DESKTOP_NAMES

The names of all virtual desktops in UTF8 encoding. This property MAY be
changed by a Pager or the Window Mangaer at any time. When a desktop is added or
removed, the Window Manager MUST update this list.
</quote>

specs should read :

<quote>
_NET_DESKTOP_NAMES

The names of all virtual desktops in UTF8 encoding. This property MAY be
changed by a Pager or the Window Mangaer at any time.
</quote>

Actually this whole thing about virtual desktops is rather big, and it may
make
alot of sence to move it out into a separate chapter.

Cheers
Sasha Vasko