Re: _NET_MOVE_RESIZE [was wm-spec 1.9f]

> >I'm guessing now, but the click coordinates are probably client (i.e.
> >relative to the top left of the client window), as it's client
> >initiated. Or does this not make sense from the implementation point of
> >view ?
>
> It may actually be better to report it in root coordinates, as normal
> practice for window manager would be to use root coordinates of
> pointer event for move/resize. At the same time it does not add any
> pressure
> on clients, and eliminates possible misunderstanding and errors,
> when pointer event is reported for one of the nested subwindows,
> and client forgets to translate it into its topmost window's coordinates.

It seems that root coordinates would be better, especially as they come
in the ButtonPress / ButtonRelease events.

> All said means that we can leave specs as it is.

I think it needs the coordinate clarification, and perhaps a rationale
added to _NET_MOVE_RESIZE to clarify the semantics. There are probably
also bugs in the use of MUST / SHOULD, but it's basically OK.

I could drop this in this week, and mail it off to Havoc.

BTW is this list dead ? Is anyone intending to implement the spec as it
stands ?

Julian