Re: 1.9d

>On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Michael ROGERS wrote:
>
>> >also the 0xFFFFFFFF is superfluous (besides obviously hackish), this is
>> >exactly what _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY is meant to indicate.
>>
>> Not true - 'sticky' indicates that the window should not move when moving the
>> viewport. 'Desktop 0xffffffff' indicates that the window should appear on all
>> desktops.
>
>so you want to distinguish between viewport-scrollable sticky windows and screen
>sticky windows? can you give an example where this is actually usefull?

The KDE panel. It should stay in the same place (bottom of the viewport or
wherever) when the viewport is scrolled, but it might not be visible on all
desktops (there might be different panels on different desktops). Apparently
people use this kind of feature, don't look at me, I use Gnome  ;)

>and why don't we have _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY and _NET_WM_STATE_SCROLLABLE_STICKY
>to indicate this then (with one state taking precedence over the other)?
>(_NET_WM_DESKTOP is still the wrong place for this, since for both sticky
>behaviours, _NET_WM_DESKTOP is a meaningless property).

I think the use of the word "sticky" has introduced confusion. The "no scroll"
hint does not imply anything about multiple desktops. The "all desktops" hint
does not imply anything about scrolling. If an application sets one hint OR
the other, its window can disappear under certain circumstances. If its sets
both, its window will always be visible in the same position on screen.

Michael Rogers