Re: MUST or SHOULD in window gravity?

> Still sounds like SHOULD to me...
>
> In IETF terminology, SHOULD means "implement unless you have some very
> good reason not to".  In this context, there exist special purpose
> applications where the window manager has to have control and override
> the applications desires.
>
> They should be able to comply with a well written spec, even if they
> do override the user's or applications preference.
>
> SHOULD means what it says: it should really be done this way, unless
> there is some overriding reason to do something else.
>
> If won't continue to function at all, then things become a MUST.
>                   - Jim

Ok, let me put it that way :

Window Manager SHOULD honor application's ConfigureWindow request and place
window in requested ( x, y ) unless there is a good reason not to, in which
case
window may be moved into a different location ( x1, y2 ).

Window Manger MUST use new window position according to gravity rules and
place
client window/frame decorations accordingly.

There are no valid reasons for not obeying gravity rules. Any attempt to do
so
must be outlawed by this specs. Otherwise it will not be possible to build
the kind of desktop that both KDE and GNOME striving to.

For those disagreeing with me, and those who do not realize just how
important
this particular issue is - try simple exersise :

Build a client with just one window
then make it snap to different edges of the screen, then make it resizing
itself in different directions while being snapped to the edge.  Try
running
it under different window managers. Frustration is guaranteed.

>Jim Gettys

Regards
Sasha Vasko