Re: Decorations (again)

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > >Indeed, there is a difference between "desktop" and "below".  Desktop
> > >means desktop features.  "Below" is normal windows that stay below other
> > >windows, but above the desktop.
> >
> > Now I'm confused. I thought you agreed that we only needed three layers.
> >
> > BTW I agree with Marko that the bottom layer should be called "desktop" to
> > avoid confusion.  ;)
>
> Yes, I thought at least this was a common consensus.  Didn't we agree that
> 'below' and 'ontop' layers were unnecessary in the spec.  Although you
> might want to place an application on top but not on the dock layer, this
> is nothing an application can request via the spec, right?

I think it should be.  Suppose I want my CD player to always be on top,
everytime I start it.  There will an option in its preferences that allow
it to specify this on startup.  Similarly for Omni-present.  Otherwise the
WM has to remember the geometry and on-top status of every application it
has ever seen.  I know that Window Maker does something along these lines,
but it has always struck me as a bit of an ugly workaround...

Note, I am not talking about apps started under Session Management, where
it is undoubtedly the window manager's responsibility to remember such
things.

Paul