Re: Application modal transients windows

> anyone got insight into this? i think it's good we have a debate on
> this now, rather than leave it half-done and end up with a standard
> several of us may think is inadequate

I agree with Raster here. A rgba datastream to store the icon has several
advantages.  It's a little bit more complicated for simple window managers
to handle (but hey, who can't handle rgb data?) but it won't slow things down.

What's happening currently (at least with KWM ) is:

     - the app transfer the icon image to the server and gets a pixmap handle
     - the app installs that handle as window property
     - the wm gets the pixmap handle from the server
     - the wm get the image data from the server
     - the wm does some scaling, smoothing, effects, whatever
     - the wm transfers the new image back to the server

What we want is:

     - the app installs the image data as window property
     - the wm gets that data from the server
     - the wm does some scaling, smoothing, effects, whatever
     - the wm transfers the new image back to the server

Matthias