Re: Motif Hints [was: Re: Fwd: Draft 1]

> > You have a point here. But if we decide to invent some kind of "window class"
> > hint, we should try to find a meaningful classification of windows first,
> > not just select some classes because "win/mac has that". And we should
> > put some hints on how these classes would normally be decorated into the
> > spec.
h>
> Here a agree. Though I consider "win/mac has it" a strong argument. We (at
> least I) want to prepare X11 to be powerful enough so that commercial
> applications can be ported from the Mac or Windows world. Right now, it isn't
> (again: see Stardivion), unless they vendors implement their own window
> decorations. This is something I want to avoid since decorations are a) the
> task of the WM and b) should be consistent throughout all applications.

so what classes of windows do we have ?

* normal ones (ie main app windows)
* transient dialogs (these are closed before continuing work
                     in the main window)
* non-transient dialogs (these could be left open for a long time)
* naked windows (??)
* tool windows (??)
* tiny (??)

Matthias, could you come up with an explanation for the last three,
which your first draft only explained in terms of the decorations to apply
to them (although you condemned the motif hints for doing just that).

Matthias

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606