Re: Greetings

"Bradley T. Hughes" wrote:

> One comment/suggestion that I have has to do with the event proxy idea
> (specifically the ButtonPress proxy described in the current spec).  Plain
> and simple, I don't think it's a good idea trying to circumvent a design
> strategy of X.  Problems could arise with applications fighting over
> control of the cursor, which is why X only allows one client at a time to
> receive a ButtonPress event.  Perhaps something other than a mindless proxy
> should be conjured up (like perhaps someway for a single application to
> tell the window manager that it would like to intervene and get root window
> mouse events... which in this case I would like to suggest that the window
> manager would select for a different input mask - minus ButtonPress - on
> the root window, and then send a signal to the said application which would
> then select for ButtonPress input on the root window)

Icewm already supports not grabbing the root ButtonPress as an option.

Personally I strongly believe all this proxy stuff should just go away.

The desktop should be a window sized to the size of the screen minus any
docked windows and kept at the bottom of the stack.

This has the following advantages:

- speed (no shaped windows needed)
- no hackery with proxy events, desktop is just standard folder window
- desktop is focusable (very important) and can be used by keyboard
  (this would be hard to get right with current proxy stuff)
- significantly reduces number of windows managed by WM. Currently wm
manages
  all desktop icons.
- easy to implement clicks trough transparent icons (another must have),
that currently don't work right.
- simplicity.

What does everyone think about this?

Mark