Re: MDI on X11

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Marko Macek wrote:
> Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>
> > What's your opinion about that? Shall we add a common MDI protocol to the
>
> IMHO I'd say no.
>
> > specs?  I'd say yes, given that noone is forced to implement it.
>
> Good. I certainly wont. (use it or implement it).
>
> BTW: Most people I have seen always have their document in word
> maximized because mdi is just an annoyance.

Your personal optionion apart, given the choice between ugly MDI with each
application emulation there own window manager (for example staroffice) or at
least consistant MDI with the WM doing _all_ decorations, what would you chose?

MDI, while probably a bad choice for a wordprocessor, makes perfect sense for
certain kind of applications: IDEs and the GIMP comes to my mind. Just the fact
that it wasn't possible to do it on X properly while Microsoft used it doesn't
mean it's a totally wrong concept.

Matthias