Re: Window Manager configuration utilities

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Nathan Clemons wrote:
[...]
> Perhaps we should make a list of what should be made optional, as a
> recommendation, but in the end, it's all up to the WM. Certain WMs may
> want to force certain methods of behavior, and not allow the user to
> change them. This would result in another individuality of the WM... not
> saying this is the best way to do it, but perhaps the Right Way.
>
> What I _think_ we need to focus more on in this realm is a standard to
> define:
>
> a> the WM
> b> the WM config tool
> c> the WM documentations
> d> the WM config tool documentation
>
> Agree/disagree?

I think that is what I was saying - of course the window manager should
make configurable whatever it sees fit, but it must make its config tool,
available in a standard way, as specified by the spec we're about to
write.

There is one exception to the above - (I propose that) a gnome compliant
window manager should have no setting for the desktop background, because
Gnome already provides this functionality.  Alternatively, we provide
a way to change the gnome background, and insist that the wm use these.

yours

Paul