Window Manager configuration utilities

Something that came up on gnome-list a little while ago was the need to
standardise window manager configuration utilities.  In a truly
integrated desktop environment, you should be able to change window
manager options such as focus policy, window cycling behaviour, or
whatever the particular wm chooses to make optional by clicking on the
menu, going to settings and hitting window manager (or similar) not by
hunting around trying to find that particular window manager's
configuration utility, written usings Any Old Toolkit (tm).

IMHO, part of a new wm-spec should specify how a window manager presents
its configuration. It was suggested that the way forward would be for
the window manager to provide a Gnome Control Centre applet.

I am not sufficiently familiar with Gnome internals to say how this is
best implemented, or best specified as a requirement.

I also think that compliant window managers should provide their on-line
help in a standard, specified form.  The above disclaimer applies for
this too...

Any comments?

yours,

Paul