Re: 1.9d comments

> Have we decided anything about docklets/applets/epplets/... that could
> get put in the panel/taskbar/tray/... Matthias, what will be the
> replacement for KWM_DOCKWINDOW?

Currenty I implemented a NET_KDE_DOCKING_WINDOW_FOR property. The semantics are
just like TRANSIENT_FOR ( i.e. XA_WINDOW/32). It declares that this window is
just a little docking window for the window it is pointing at.

The window manager does absolutely nothing with these windows, but propagates
them in a property of the root window NET_KDE_DOCKING_WINDOWS (Array of
XA_WINDOW, 32) similar to NET_CLIENT_LIST.

The rest is up to the desktop framework. In the KDE case, kicker (the
new KDE panel) watches the property, reparents the dock windows in its docking
area and becomes the responsible window manager for these icon windows.

Very simple and functional, but nothing that fits into the standard
specification right now. For a standard specification, we need to provide a
way to synchronize competing dock-containers etc.

IIRC the decision was not to delay the specs because of this. We can always
decide on a applets/docking standard later. It's more work than what we have
time right now.

Matthias