Re: WIP: wm-spec 1.9b

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Marko Macek wrote:

> Tim Janik wrote:

> > > _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_NOTIFY
> > >
> > > If this protocol is selected, the window will receive
> > > _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_BEGIN and _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_END client messages when the
> > > window manager starts or ends resizing in opaque mode.
> > >
> > >   Rationale: This allows slow applications to use a faster resizing
> > >   method until they finally receive the _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_EXIT hint.
> >
> > so we got _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_NOTIFY, _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_BEGIN,
> > _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_END and _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_EXIT client messages?
> > what about:
>
> Oops, some mistakes here...
>
> _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_NOTIFY is a property set by client that requests
> the _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_BEGIN and _END events being sent whenever window is
> being opaquely moved/resized. _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_EXIT should be _END
> instead.
>
> > windows that embed overlay video will want to update the overlay
> > area during plain moves as well.
>
> You mean during opaque moves? They can check configure notify events.

most window managers don't actually send configure notifies during the
actuall move, probably because most toolkits do resizes/redraws upon
arrival of configure events and thus could cause contiguous flickering
during the opaque move.
so i think there is a point in providing an application with
_NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_NOTIFY client messages, if it requested so.
come to think of it, i now wonder: if you weren't thinking of opaque
moves and video overlays in the first place, what did you actually
intend the _NET_WM_SIZEMOVE_* client messages to be used for?

> Mark
> --
> ... GUI: WPS.
> Marko.Macek@gmx.net                 http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/