[Utopia] Non-removable device handling

Stuff like modem-lights currently does things like run wvdial even if
that's not the distribution's choice of dialers. What's the right layer
to let the desktop interact with hardware that's going to be configured
in both a distribution and OS specific way? It's been suggested that
there should be some sort of dbus listener that can run OS/distro
specific code. This seems attractive to me, especially since it helps
deal with awkwardnesses like getting people the ability to dial out
without having to give them ridiculous levels of permissions.

(Is this sort of stuff really within the realm of Project Utopia? I'd
certainly think of it as "Making hardware just work", but most of the
use cases so far have focussed on removable media. I'd argue that we
haven't really solved some of the more low-hanging fruit yet, despite it
having been there for 10 years or so...)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org