Re: [Utopia] Gnome-VFS backend crashing file chooser dialog

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 16:08, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:46:56PM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:47:21PM -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > > I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Using the latest patch
> > > from Dave it seems that clicking on any of the volumes in the shortcut
> > > window of the file chooser causes a crash.  This has been seen by others
> > > who use my patch packages.  I have been trying to track it down at I
> > > know the crash happens at a strcmp in shorcut_find_position where
> > > base_path is NULL.  This is because the volume data that was populated
> > > into the shortcut's list model became invalid at some point.  I tracked
> > > it down to the fstab and the mtab lists of the vfs daemon somehow
> > > trashing its own data.  Beyond that I can't figure out where the
> > > trashing is actually happening.  Below is a backtrace of the symptom
> > > with the last unknown symbol being the strcmp.  Hopefully someone can
> > > add some insight.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm out travelling right now, back saturday, but I'll have a look at
> > it when I get back. Unless you beat me to it, that is :-)
>
> Beat you :).. Well actually i was intrested in the whole gtk filechooser -> vfs
> -> hal link worked and the bug provided a nice challenge to dive into the code
> (apart from annoying me)
>
> The problem was that the hal patch filters some standard unix filesystems mount
> points and doesn't report them to the vfs. Now the gnome-vfs filechooser
> backend wants the volume for / (which is filtered) and assumes there is one.
> The fact that there isn't leads to a strcmp with a NULL arguments eventually.
>
> Imho filtering out some paths isn't the right sollution, the user_visible flag
> is ment for this.. So i've removed the filtering and let the user_visible flag
> of drives depends on the hal removable flag. David put a comment somewhere that
> the storage flag is unreliable, but it seems to work fine here...
>
> Attached patch is to be applied on a gnomevfs patched with davids patch.
>
> Unfortunately the current hal in debian (need to check cvs) doesn't always
> recognize which volumes are mounted, which leads to the same problem.
>
>   Sjoerd

Cool, I suspected this was the problem but was getting some weird gdb
stuff where the data would be intact inside a method call that
constructed the shortcut list for the file chooser to use and then would
be corrupt as soon as we returned from the call.  So, I thought the
issue might be broader.  I was also informed last night that Federico
put some patches for the chooser in CVS which may or may not also
address the issue from the file chooser side.  I'm going to patch my
packages tonight and test them when I get in the office tomorrow.
Thanks for the patch.

--
J5