  • From: "C. Gatzemeier" <c gatzemeier tu-bs de>
  • To: Josh Triplett <josh trip verizon net>, xdg-list freedesktop org, utopia-list gnome org
  • Cc: config4gnu-developer lists sourceforge net
  • Subject: Re: Hardware Detection for GNU/Linux
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:56:03 +0200
Am Wednesday 02 June 2004 22:48 schrieb Josh Triplett:

> I have written an informal design specification of a hardware detection
> and configuration system for GNU/Linux.
> http://linuxlab.cs.pdx.edu/~tripletj

Thank you! I've looked for info on utopia before but did give up since the
info seemed so scattered. The document now gives a nice overview.

Under "Reviewing and Configuring Current Hardware" the problematic with past
efforts for configuration utilities is nicely explained. This struck me as
particulary interesting because I once put together the wiki page for a
potential solution for this.

Maybe you've come across the xdg-list discussion about a common configuration
API.
There are already multiple possible alternatives, and I don't want to say that
the API Config4GNU has so far should just be adopted, but I'd say its layered
and modular concept for a unifyed config representation is very well worth
investigating. For communication it seems to me that building on D-BUS like
the Hardware Detection iself instead of using Config4GNUs current
implementation may be a good idea.

An overwiew over the Config4GNU (or CFG for short) layers and architecture is
available on http://freedesktop.org/Software/CFG . Hopefully together with
the CfgFAQ, that is also on the wiki, the concepts and benefits get exposed.
It would be great if general configuration and automatic hardware
detection/configuration could work hand in hand.

Regards,
Christian

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---