Re: [Utopia] kernel -> dbus event delivery?

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:05:27PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 12:45 +0100, Daniel Silverstone wrote:
> > Kay Sievers wrote:
> > > No, for sure, it isn't. Hotplug is cool for the low level thing and
> > > basic device tasks, but not for sending, possibly a lot of messages. The
> > > netlink transport is a much nicer than to create a environment and fork
> > > a helper.
> >
> > Mmm, I see.
> >
> > I think it certainly shouldn't be dbus specific though. It's all very well to
> > have a generic "passes information packets to userpsace" type of netlink
> > socket, but trying to tie it (even if only in name) to DBUS is a mistake IMO.
>
> Yeah, I thought the same thing, after the first read. But I expect, that
> the message will be very tied to the dbus concept, so why not call it
> that way, it's a nice promotion :) Let's see what is already there, to
> get the whole picture.

Actually, IIRC Robert talked about a very generic message delivery
concept and D-BUS is only one possible userspace IPC system that can
pick the messages up and map them to D-BUS signals emitted on the
system message bus.

There is more information in his blog entry here, although this is
dated December 2003

 http://tech9.net/rml/log/snorp_is_so_metal.html

Cheers,
David