RE: [Utopia] Removable devices and write-caching

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:43, joturner wrote:
> Would it be so bad to just inform the user when saving to the device not to
> remove it?  Like video games when they write to a save cartridge, for example.
>  That way they won't remove it, and the write doesn't need to be cached.
>
> Not that it'd have to take over everything, maybe the message is an
> information box and goes away when the copy finishes, a la Firefox on Windows.

The point of a write cache is that then the write appears finished, the
write is not always complete.  The best way to demonstrate this is to
copy a large file to a floppy disk with write caching on -- the access
light will show for a second, cp will return... and then a few seconds
later it will start actually writing the file to disk.  Obviously taking
the floppy out before that is a bad thing...

Nautilus could do an (if device is removable && write caching is on)
test and force a flush when copying files I guess, but that doesn't
solve the problem for people saving files with OpenOffice or using cp in
a terminal.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./