Re: [Usability] Future of the menu top bar?

> Confusing people already familiar with Windows is a very bad thing, but
> you don't have to copy Windows to avoid that.

As long as the changes are not too drastic, I don't think deviating from
Windows/Explorer.exe is that much of a problem. Windows users sitting
down at a Mac generally do not run away and curl up in fetal position in
the corner of the room.

What few people seem to forget is that Microsoft itself also makes some
radical changes every now and then. I'd say that moving the location of
My Computer etc. from the desktop (Win 9x) to the Start menu (which is
where My Computer is on default installs of XP) is quite substantial
change, often overlooked by people. Did people curl up in fetal position
when upgrading to XP? I don't think so.

The fear of alienating Windows users should NOT get in the way of
developing a user interface. The moment it does, you might as well stop
developing UIs altogether.

Where would mankind be if it only stuck to what it knew?

Thom Holwerda
---
Managing editor of http://www.osnews.com