Re: [Usability] Theme Instant Apply

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
On May 2, 2006, at 3:29 AM, Sven Jaborek wrote:

Am Sonntag, den 30.04.2006, 15:42 +0100 schrieb Thomas Wood:

Could anyone give me some advice on bug 149323 (HIG issues with Theme
Preferences). The issue is that the theme manager often takes longer
than one second to apply a theme, so therefore it should not be instant apply. Would it be acceptable to most people to change the theme manager to explicit apply?

That something takes longer than one second to put into effect is not a good reason to make it explicit-apply. (If it was, mail clients wouldn't have offline modes.)

Instead, I suggest: Reserve room for a small indeterminate progress indicator (a.k.a. a throbber) and a label directly underneath the list. Then whenever a theme has been selected for at least half a second but hasn't finished applying yet, show the progress indicator and label:

    @ Applying “Ocean Blue”...
The problem is, it's not technically possible to tell when the theme has finished applying.

-Thomas