Re: [Usability] Mute in GNOME mixer applet does not have correct

On Mar 23, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Rodney Dawes wrote:

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 21:18 +0100, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
Rodney, do you think these icons: "min-mute, med-mute, max-mute" can be added to the icon spec?

I would rather not. It's a lot of duplication of icons for very little, if any, gain. We need to actually solve the problem, not sweep it under the carpet, by trying to have more pretty icons to look at instead.

Agreed.

If the user changes the volume while mute is enabled, the behavior should be to unmute and change the volume, I think. This is what Mac OS does. In fact, OS X seems to have behavior very close to that of the current situation in the applet. Dragging the volume to 0 in OS X is muting, and toggling the mute from there, sets the volume to something like 1% or 3%, and toggling again, mutes.

I can't speak for later versions, but in 10.3, pressing the Louder and Quieter keys sets the volume to the next step up or down from what it was before it was muted.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/