Re: [Usability] Re: Shouldn't "Finish" vs "Close" decision be made in the HIG [WAS: "Finish" vs. "Close" in gnome-control-center dialogs]

--- Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:

> This is an incorrect assumption. All dialogs with a
> close button should
> not be switched to a Finish button. They should be
> changed to use the
> label and icon most appropriate for what the dialog
> does. In the case of
> the background properties dialog, I determined that
> we should use the
> GTK_STOCK_APPLY icon (because the OK/close icons
> suck), with the label
> of Finish. This may not be the best combination for
> other properties or
> preferences dialogs. It is certainly not a good
> thing for error dialogs,
> and other similar alert dialogs.

Or for something like a Find dialog.
'Finish' in there would suggest to me that clicking it
would restore the cursor or selection to its state
before I summoned the Find dialog.

I do think however that we should be consistent across
all preference tools.