Re: [Usability] "Finish" vs. "Close" in gnome-control-center dialogs

--- Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:>
> > Consistency is good.
>
> Consistency is good. But what is consistent is
> arguable, and usability
> should take precedence.

No, the two must go hand in hand.
Users are quite capable of getting in a tizzy about
inconsistencies: "why does that pref tool say 'close'
and this one 'finish'? Does that mean they behave
differently?"

I agree that "Finish" is an improvement over "Close"
with its X icon.
I'm just disappointed that we introduced this
inconsistency when it could have been avoided.
We should have either held back the change on the
background pref tool, or rallied the troops (say at
gnome-love) and got the lot done.
GNOME is meant to be a complete, integrated desktop
environment: that means changes like this *must*
happen in step.

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com