Re: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP

--- Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
> > Through we now have Scribus under QT, there is
> still a notable lack of
> > applications in this area.
>
> It would be a lot of work to develop and maintain
> any fully featured
> Desktop Publishing software.  I'm impressed how
> Scribus has been sucessful
> in generating interest and getting people to help
> out.
>
> I do not always use only Gnome applications and
> Scribus seems to be a
> really great application.

About six months ago I took a look at Scribus.
I needed to make a simple mockup of a page design for
a book: fairly standard DTP work.
I couldn't do it, because of things such as lack of
snap, a box model I couldn't fathom, and ugly fonts,
though the last isn't Scribus's fault.
Sorry to be negative, but speaking from experience,
it's not yet at the level of Aldus Pagemaker in the
Windows 3.1 days.