Re: [Usability] Ellipsis on buttons

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> These are largely what I was referring to, as well
> as
> some of the icons in iTunes:
>
> http://kwc.org/blog/archives/desktop.itunes.jpg

You know, I'm so used to those I didn't think of them.
(What is that a shot of, by the way? It's not OS X but
there's something docklike there.)

> Although I think iTunes tends too much towards not
> having labels.  I'm a big fan of using iconography
> (not necessarily just image icons, but more
> generally
> symbols that represent things) for common and
> standard
> operations.

Though bear in mind not everyone understands
pictograms. Some people just don't get them, even the
common ones.

> The Help button is a perfect example.  Because Apple
> uses the single ? icon very effectively, they can
> put
> it almost anywhere in an interface.

Is ? a universally understood symbol?
I quite like the GNOME lifebuoy.

> Add and Remove
> are also good examples.  Whenever we use them, they
> end up feeling awkward, occupying a
> disproportionately
> large amount of space that ought to be used to
> display
> more data.

I think we need to devise a standard layout for this
fairly frequent set of controls: a list of items you
can add or remove, and where each item has editable
properties.
But I can't remember if I'm still at the stage of
thinking about raising it on the usability list, or
whether I already have ;)