Re: [Usability] Our approach to GUI design

On Mar 21, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 18:23 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

This makes me wonder: is some of our work on usability the wrong way round? We leave the developer with the HIG and they do their best, and then we come along and spot all the mistakes. Programmers don't draw their own icons, they get an artist to do it -- should we expect programmers to design their own GUIs?

Of course not. :-)

We should consider providing higher-level tools -- e.g. dialogue widgets with buttons already in place, although this particular example already exists -- and consider bribing the glade developers to make sure they are supported. Glade could also include pre-built application fragments as templates, which might help.

Glade could help you get your spacing right, and I occasionally pester the Gazpacho developers to provide pre-designed alerts and progress windows. But it's still easy to make a flawlessly laid out GUI that's horrible to use. :-)

This is similar to the question about "..." in menu entries --
if a menu directly brings up a dialogue, the toolkit could put
the dots there.

Some things that require further input aren't dialogs. Adding ellipses for dialogs automatically might cause developers to forget more often about adding ellipses for the other things.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/