Re: [Usability] Describing actions

On 3/12/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
> Is there anything in the HIG about describing actions
> in general rather than specific terms?

I think that is a bit too clear cut to be useful guideline, you rather
want the action to be described as _accurately_ as possible (so if it
is a specific action, it will say so and not be confused with general
ones).

> Eg, for label text, having
> "Run executable text files when they are opened"
> instead of
> "Run executable text files when they are
> double-clicked"
> -- because a user might open a file with the menu
> command, or with the Return key, or Ctrl+O.

Agreeing with this one, but...

> (BTW, the actual label says "Run executable text files
> when they are clicked". I've filed a bug.)

...this is valid in my case (I don't use double-click anywhere where I
can avoid it).

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi