[Usability] Re: Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Chrome Changes

On 3/2/06, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer lunden gmail com> wrote:

> > Hiding the statusbar seems like a
> > huge mistake though, how then to verify suspect links?

> So come up with a better way to do it. :)

Eh.. a better way than removing it? Keeping it, of course! Or if you
meant come up with something better that the statusbar, I don't think
that is my job. That would be the job of whoever wants it removed - I
think it's fine.

>The information could be in
> the mouseover popup; i could only come up when the target link in some
> way doesn't match the text of the link;

How could that possibly be decided? If a link says "Go to paypal" and
the link is "paypal.bleh.com" instead of "www.paypal.com" a human can
easily see that something is wrong, but a computer? And if the link
text says "Gimme!" instead with the same links?

> there are a million potential
> ways to do this,

Examples? Apart from the popup above, that I think is practically
impossible? If there is no regression in safety and simplicity of use,
you can remove/replace anything you like. I'm not against change, just
bad change. :)

>all less crappy than the statusbar (which gedit has
> wisely basically gotten rid of.)

What's so crappy about the statusbar? It's an excellent place to show
extra information and it isn't like it takes up tons of space or
anything.

-- Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Lundén