Re: [Usability] Language settings

On 3/1/06, Uno Engborg <uno webworks se> wrote:
> Language settings  in Gnome is handled in
> "Desktop->Administration->Language".
> It requires root password to change. This is really bad if you have
> users of different
> nationality.

AFAIK this controls the global default. Probably a more descriptive
name would be in order here...

[user control for language]
> Or is there a control like that, that I am unaware of?

Yes, in the login screen (depending on your login manager of course,
GDM at least supports selecting) you can choose your desired language.

I'm not sure if there is technically anything preventing change
on-the-fly, but honoring the environmental variables (LC_* etc) is a
good thing to do (and can really be expected to stay put for the
lifetime of the application). There are some cases where all LC_*
values are not best to be the same, and changing these temporarilary
when launching programs is often useful too.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi