Re: [Usability] Standard GUI recipes

On 22 Jul 2006, at 09:10, brian muhumuza wrote:

On 7/12/06, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:
On 12 Jul 2006, at 13:54, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> These are things the HIG currently doesn't cover because they're more
> than one control, but (with the exception of progress windows) less
> than an entire window.

I've had definite plans to work on something like this for a while,
as part of (or supplemental to) a HIG revamp, and indeed I started
writing a mini-list of my own likely candidates here:

http://live.gnome.org/HumanInterfaceGuidelines? action=show&redirect=HIG

i guess the best way to get this going is to work with GTK guys or GNOME UI guys to create the widgets for programmers to use instead of having to create them from scratch reading off a manual (HIG)

Possibly, but I'm not sure it's necessarily true for everything that might end up on such a list. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter how many fancy compound widgets you provide (and you can certainly provide too many-- not that I'm suggesting we currently do), there's always going to be a "next step up" in complexity where the developer will have to write something from scratch to assemble them into something useful, with guidance from some sort of HIG.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team