Re: [Usability] Request for UI ideas: User/Group management

On Jul 21, 2006, at 8:49 AM, Samuel Abels wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 20.07.2006, 21:33 +0100 schrieb Alan Horkan:
I'd be very tempted to copy an existing users interface from a similar tool, probably copy what Microsoft have done unless it sucks really really badly.

I am not aware of such a tool, but if there is any that I can try out or look at without installing a copy of Windows, I would like that.

Here's the Windows 2000 Server equivalent.
<http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2ksvrus.html>
(I couldn't find an equivalent for Windows Server 2003, even on Microsoft's site.)

And the Mac OS X Server equivalent.
<http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/User_Management_Admin_v10.4B.pdf>
(3.4 MB PDF; see in particular pages 42 and 81.)

If on the left you have a tree of nested groups, and on the right a list of user accounts for the selected group, that would solve your basic problem. Probably the biggest problem remaining would be finding a non-painful way of presenting what group or groups a given user account belongs to.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/