Re: [Usability] remove vs delete

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 21:01 -0400, Mr. Shawn H. Corey wrote:
> Shaun McCance wrote:
> > What, exactly, do you not think is a good idea?  Do you think
> > we should call it "delete", even though it does not delete or
> > cancel your account with your provider?  You seem concerned
> > that users might think it will cancel their account, and yet
> > you are arguing against "remove".  To me, "delete" is the
> > more dangerous word.
>
> I think developer.gnome.org should bend over backwards to make sure the
> user knows there are two accounts.

As the machine name might indicate, developer.gnome.org
is not intended for users.  We do not require our users
to go read documents on the developer site to figure out
how to use their computers.

> > The first definition of "remove", from dictionary.com:
>
> The dictionary definition is irrelevant. The definition that's important
> is here:
> http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-user-actions.html
> This is the definition publish by developer.gnome.org and its the one
> developer.gnome.org will be held responsible to (because it's the one
> developer.gnome.org published). Every exception to this must be spelled
> out, in detail, every time it occurs.

The dictionary is always relevant.  The dictionary
tells us what real people mean when they say words.
The GNOME Documentation Style Guide (which happens
to be on developer.gnome.org) is a set of stylistic
recommendations.  Following these recommendations
should make your prose more clear and less vague.

The GDSG is not a definitive document that overrules
the English language.  And it is certainly not some
sort of legal contract or warranty to our users.

> A better choice would be: Disconnect from your email provider.

I disconnect from my provider every time I close
Evolution.  A better choice would be "Remove the
settings on this computer that allow Evolution to
access this account".  Unfortunately, that makes
for a ridiculously large button.  So we shorten
it to "Remove".

--
Shaun