Re: [Usability] Splash screens and startup notification

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 10:07 +0100, karderio wrote:
> Would it not be hard (impossible) to calculate the percentage of time
> until the end of startup for the progressbar ? Would you not have to add
> specific code to each application ? If you wanted some sort of
> indicator, would a throbber not be more appropriate ? I would think
> textual output could be interesting, such as "Starting Bluetooth Client
> - Connecting to remote device" or "Starting OpenOffice - Initializing
> Java", the user would know what he is waiting for, and it would help
> with troubleshooting...

Yes, and think of all the jargon you're inflicting on the poor user
every time they open up their office suite, who wouldn't know how to use
that information anyway...

If it's for troubleshooting purposes, I'd rather the programs just
output loading times to stdout. At least then you can copy and paste
from a terminal; with window-title status messages, there'd be no way of
copying down what the messages were quickly enough to use them for
troubleshooting!

--
Phil Bull
https://launchpad.net/people/philbull/