Re: Terminal Toolbar? [was Re: [Usability] gnome-terminal shortcuts]

Am Freitag, den 30.12.2005, 15:08 +0000 schrieb Alan Horkan:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Steve Fosdick wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:07:38 +0000
> > From: Steve Fosdick <lists pelvoux nildram co uk>
> > To: usability gnome org
> > Subject: Re: [Usability] gnome-terminal shortcuts
> >
> > Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
> >
> > > SHIFT+CTRL+V is an awkward combination for
> > > something that's used frequently.
>
> [...]

You may want to check "Editable menu accelerators" in the "Menu and
Toolbar" preferences, and press backspace while hovering the paste menu
item, pressing the desired key combination afterwards.

> > I am not sure how we could make this feature more discoverable but is
> > makes pasting things from one application to another much faster than
> > having to pick "Copy" then "Paste" from a menu or go back to the
>
> Speaking of discoverability the old MS DOS command window does not have
> any menus but it does have a toolbar.  It might be worth something
> worth trying.
>
> For reference purposes the layout of the MS DOS Toolbar: Font (drop down),
> Selection, Copy, Paste, Fullscreen, Properties, Background, Font (button).

My main concern is that toolbars usually take more space than menus and
that they're usually not very keynav-friendly. Are you talking about an
mc-like approach, i.e. some labels in a bar with modifier-less key
combinations? Not using modifiers will make GNOME terminal break my
beloved vim. A terminal window should IMHO really just be a shell
display frame and not behave like an applications of its own, even if
its necessary for some advanced stuff like input methods, color
customization or X11-driven cnp.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>